Search This Blog

Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Now the B's

Baize is a coarse woollen (or in cheaper variants cotton) cloth, sometimes called "felt" in American English based on a similarity in appearance. Baize is traditionally used to cover games tables to provide a playing surface for cards or billiards. The surface finish of baize is not very fine and therefore increases friction to slow the balls down.

The term bergeré is often used to refer to the woven cane seat of a chair. Although the original meaning is the French name for a deep, tub-chaped, upholstered armchair from 19th century, with continuous top and arm rails and a slightly concave back. Some versions were caned between the arms and seat and have a loose seat cushion. These bergeré seats were often over upholstered beneath the drop in cushion.

Buhl / Boulle
Boulle is a marquetry technique, also known as Buhl work, using metal (usually brass) and tortoiseshell in reverse patterns, sometimes combined with other materials and often set in an ebony veneer. It was a popular technique in France from the late 17th century through to the 19th century, and in Britain from 1815. The term is associated with the French cabinet-maker and ebeniste, Andre Boulle (1642-1732) of the Louis XIV period in France. He specialised in elegant, highly ornamental furniture - mainly for the nobility.

A general term used for any edge cut at an angle to a flat surface. The word bevel means to cut or shape.

Bird Cage Action
A wooden hinged mechanism that is usually found on 18th century tripod tables. It is a fixed mechanism at the top of the pedestal that allows the table to swivel, tilt, fold or be fixed horizontally.

A term used to describe a piece of furniture with part of its front projecting. Breakfront bookcases, sideboards, wardrobes and clothes presses were popular throughout the 18th and 19th centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment